At Desert Academy, athletics is an integral part of student life. We have a no-cut sports policy, which encourages all students to participate. While we don’t require any student to go out for sports, more than 60% participate in athletics, which is double the national average. Why? Because our students are respected, honored and empowered on the athletic field.
Winning is a by-product of our sports philosophy, not a primary objective. However, our students’ successes are indeed impressive:
- Desert teams travel all over the southwest and California to engage in high-quality competition.
- The boys’ and girls’ track and field teams have won 13 out of the last 15 district championships.
- Desert Academy track athletes have won 11 individual state titles.
- The girls’ basketball team has had a winning record in 13 out of the last 15 seasons.
- A Desert Academy student won the state golf championship in 2008.
- Desert’s tennis team placed second in the state championship in just its second season of competition.
- Desert Academy is the only “Class A” school in New Mexico (71 to 150 high school students) to compete at the state championships in girls’ soccer and in swimming and diving.
- Desert Academy is one of only three Class A schools competing at the A-AAA level in swimming and diving.
- In the last two years, Desert Academy is the only small school with a student who won individual medals at the state diving championships.
- Our 2012 girls’ cross-country team finished third at the state championship.
Some Accomplishments by Desert Students:
- National fencing champion
- Downhill skier qualified for the Olympic trials
- Two-time All-American wheelchair basketball player
- Silver medalist in the World Double Decathlon
- National silver-level horse vaulting
- National Olympic power-lifting medalist
- Professional polo player in Argentina and Australia
- Dance (Juilliard Conservatory, Boston Conservatory), cross-country (Occidental College), crew (University of the Pacific), track and field (Santa Rosa College, University of Colorado), diving (Trinity University), swimming (New York University), soccer (Colby-Sawyer College), basketball (University of California at Santa Cruz, Hendrix College).
For more information on our athletic program or team schedules, please contact Natalie Passalacqua, Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org